There is a level of immediate support for music software, thanks to the supplied presets for Apple’s Logic Pro X, GarageBand, and MainStage, as well as other popular music applications such as Ableton Live, Audacity, Bitwig Studio, Reaper, DJ-1800, Izotope RX, Digital Performer, Studio One, Reason, Reaktor, and Traktion.
A free editor application gives complete control over the ShuttlePro v2’s assignments, so you can use the dial and buttons for keystrokes, scrolling, clicking, opening files or folders, or for selected system commands such as volume and display brightness. For each keystroke you can add modifiers – ctrl, option, shift, or cmd, then enter a qwerty character, or a function key, or a system key such as tab or enter. If you’re already aware of the benefits of using your DAW’s keyboard shortcuts, this should already be planting little idea-seeds in your head!
I’m an Ableton Certified Trainer, and my entire day is spent with Live-related activities – running classes, creating videos, writing tutorials, and the like, so naturally, here I’m using Live as my set-up example. Not everybody uses Live(!), but hopefully it’ll give you some inspiration about how you can use the Contour ShuttlePro with your own favourite DAW.
As I’ve already mentioned, there’s an Ableton Live preset included in the Contour Shuttle editor application, but I decided to create my own assignments instead. Live has a fixed array of keyboard shortcuts, which aren’t user-editable, but what makes all the difference is the fact that Live also has something called Key Map Mode, where you can assign qwerty characters to many of Live’s functions, including transport controls, clip launching, software instrument parameters, and so on.
This means that we can go deep with our chosen assignments for the ShuttlePro (and if necessary you can save more than one set of assignments for the same DAW, perhaps for studio and performance use). I set it up with buttons toggling the Browser, Detail View, Session/Arrangement View, and Mixer. Other buttons were put to work for Stop Clips, scene launching, and effect activation, while the wheel was used to scroll up and down through scenes in Live’s Session View.
For more complex tasks, the ShuttlePro can send macros – entire chains of key commands and characters – from one button push. Imagine combining this with OS X’s Automator for ultimate one-click-control-chain power! I know what you’re wondering now – can the ShuttlePro send MIDI? The direct answer is ‘no’, but if you use an intermediate application like Bomes MIDI Translator, that’ll bridge the gap very effectively.
Despite being an Ableton Live user, like most producers I know, I rely on more than one DAW to get everything done, so I pair Live with Logic Pro X from time to time, and I appreciate the way the ShuttlePro automatically detects which application is foremost and provides the correct settings. Very smooth transition.
Thanks to the included presets, you can use the ShuttlePro immediately with your favourite DAW, which is great when you don’t have time to mess around, but if you put in a little extra effort to customise the settings, you’ll have an even more helpful addition to your studio.
ShuttlePRO v2 for Photographers
Think it’s just for video? Picture this…
• ShuttlePRO v2 has pre-set configurations out of the box. Adobe Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, AutoCAD, Manga Studio, Maya, Apple Photos & Aperture and more are already included in the Mac & PC drivers program. Connect to USB, install the software and you are ready to edit.
• Are you already using Adobe Photoshop Elements, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Google Picasa or Paint.net? Shuttle Pro V2 can be easily configured to use with ANY photo editing application for Mac & PC. 15 programmable buttons, plus the responsive jog-shuttle control can be set up to take care of photo editing tasks that normally require workflow-slowing keyboard access.
• Wacom’s perfect partner. Precision editing from your graphics tablet, combined with unlimited access to shortcuts and keyboard functions via Shuttle Pro V2 give you the optimum photo editing power. Actions, auto-fixes, filters and effects can be at your fingertips whilst you edit, saving you valuable time and enhancing your creativity. Working in tandem with any computer pointing device, ShuttlePRO v2 will save you time and frustration.
• Watch your edit. Tired of looking away from your screen as you look for keyboard shortcuts? ShuttlePRO v2 keeps your commonly used tools and shortcuts at your fingertips so you can concentrate on the on screen action. Why look away when you apply your adjustments or filters? Stay focused and create amazing photos instead.
• Tools and effects. ShuttlePRO v2 is your on-hand selector, allowing you to choose tools, brushes and effects, resize and apply them with the click of a button or a flick of the jog-shuttle control. Why navigate on screen menus, or take time looking for keyboard options when you are already have control of your editing in your hand? For example, Photoshop CC has an amazing array of brushes and pens that you can now select and adjust on the fly using Shuttle Pro V2.
• Repetition? Repetition? Repetition? Batch editing can be a pain, especially when you need to work using keyboard shortcuts or onscreen controls. Shuttle Pro V2 makes life easier by allowing you to automate tasks in any editing suite. Why adjust white balance, colour correction and sharpness manually, when the Shuttle can apply all of these with a single click of a button? Create your own Photoshop style actions for any program using the Shuttle’s flexible software and focus more on your creativity.
• Using Sliders? On screen adjustment tools have made life easier in many editing suites. Lightroom CC is a great example where this method of working is at it’s best. Shuttle Pro V2 now gives you the ability to adjust exposure, contrast, clarity, saturation and many others in such programs, simply by using it’s highly responsive buttons and jog-shuttle controls. Keep the cursor where you need it and click and rotate instead for a much more intuitive experience.
• Master of organisation. ShuttlePRO v2 can help you organize your photo collections. Whether reviewing your Mac’s Photos library, checking your holiday snaps in Adobe Photoshop Elements or reviewing your latest professional shoot using Adobe Lightroom CC’s powerful library tools, ShuttlePRO v2 will allow you to zoom, rotate, proof and even apply auto-fixes without necessarily having to move to your keyboard to make changes. Quickly open, preview, adjust and save, speeding up your workflow and allowing you to concentrate on the interesting parts of your creative work.
• Unlimited potential. Because ShuttlePRO v2 has easily configurable software for Mac & PC, and features 15 programmable buttons, plus a an ergonomic jog-shuttle control, you can create unlimited profiles in any photo editing application. Why have one setting for Photoshop or Lightroom, when you can apply a profile for organizing, for editing, for opening and saving files, or even for different sets of tools? While you will point with your tablet pen or mouse, ShuttlePRO v2 can make available any tool or adjustment that normally requires a key-press, in any software you choose to use.